Saturday, February 25, 2012

Vegan, GF Early Spring Lemon Poppy Seed Olive Oil Scones (and Car Talk)



Sad attempt at food photography (Also, we're out of poppy seeds)
Less sad. Still delicious.
Picture it: Saturday morning, blue sky, wind blowing so hard through these Brooklyn streets, and the sway of our shoddily constructed building reminding us that, just because we survived Hurricane 2011, the lease isn't up yet. Mornings like this, when all that's on the radio is Car Talk (full confession: I love those guys) and the fridge is on empty after a long week of work and weirdness and work weirdness and commuting nightmares, I love to get up early and bake. Something warm and soothing to accompany an excellent cup of coffee that isn't costing me $2.00 a cup. Usually chocolate. Not today. Mostly because we're out of chocolate (See above: Fridge is on empty).


Today, to complement the blue in the sky and the Spring in the air, I'm using up the lemons and the poppy seeds that haven't seen the light of day since this time last year when I was on a poppy seed baking tear, and right before I got it in my head that at some point I'd be required to take a random drug test and would have to explain that the opiates in my urine were actually due to all the hamentashen I'd been eating unseasonably early (Sometimes, I like to creatively terrify myself). I also have rolled oats, and dry quinoa, and flax seed and olive oil which makes pretty much everything taste good. J. can't eat eggs, and wheat and dairy are beautiful killers who hate me so I'm keeping it simple. The result is really high in fiber, low fat, and vegan. Drizzled with a fresh lemon juice and sugar glaze, they're also kind of mindblowingly awesome. Just don't say I didn't warn you about the drug test.


Early Spring Lemon Poppy Seed Olive Oil Scones


**Note: I like to grind my own oats and flax seeds because I think  they taste fresher. If you only have pre-ground oat flour and flax that's fine too. 


For the scones:
3 1/2 cups plus 1/2 cup uncooked, rolled oats 
4 tablespoons dry quinoa
4 tablespoons poppy seeds
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Zest of two lemons
2 tablespoons flax seed (ground))
1/2 cup warm water
10 tablespoons cold pressed olive oil
1 cup milk or unsweetened, dairy-free milk alternative (I used unsweetened rice milk)


For the glaze:
1-2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1-2 cups powdered sugar


Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease baking sheet.


In a large bowl, mix ground flax seeds with warm water until combined. Add olive oil and stir. 


If you're grinding your own oats, put 3 1/2 cups into a food processor and process until they become a coarse flour. Put in a bowl. Add additional 1/2 cup of unground oats. Add quinoa, poppy seeds, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and lemon zest. Mix. Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until stiff dough begins to form. Add milk of your choice. When dough is combined, spoon on to greased baking sheet and shape into even circles with your hands. 


Bake for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool on a rack. While cooling, make glaze. When scones are cool, drizzle glaze over the tops with a fork. 

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Jen! Anything lemon instantly makes me yearn for spring. I've never seen scones using olive oil instead of butter, so this recipe has definitely piqued my interest. Hope next week is full of less weirdness, and more baked goods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks doll! And I am looking forward to revisiting our excellent, but sadly one-time only, bake off. And hear all about fun wedding stuff. xoxo

    ReplyDelete